There are many reasons that traveling by foot is a benefit to you, Pittsburgh, your community, your neighborhood, and Allegheny County.
As reported in a CNN news story, by each American walking for 30-minutes a day, as an alternative to driving, the planet would be saved 64 million tons of carbon dioxide, 6.5 million gallons of gas, and lose 13 pounds in a year.
Walking is green. Commitment to pedestrian mobility can have many positive effects on the environment:
- Reduction in noise and air pollution
- Reduction in traffic congestion
- Reduction in carbon footprint
- Reduction on automobile dependency
- Reduction of gasoline usage
- Promotion of social and livable, safe communities
- Provides the opportunity to support local business and commerce
(Source: Walking is Green – Amy Bumgardner – Walking.About.com)
Walking is known as the most inexpensive and environmentally friendly mode of transportation. Walking is also known as a low-impact form of exercise, offering a wide range of health benefits:
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower LDL bad cholesterol
- Raises HDL good cholesterol
- Reduces your risk of certain chronic diseases (cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes)
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- Improves mood
- Manage wieght
- Helps you stay strong and fit
- Increases physical activity
- Increases recreational activity
The benefits to your health and wellness can be greatly increased by regular exercise, including walking. Join us at WalkPittsburgh in "Making Pittsburgh and one of America's Most Walkable Cities"